Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Poetry’s Social Function

I disagree with this assertion. I do not believe poetry has any benefit to society or anything whatsoever other than to prevaricate a first impression that they're smart or something. They do make great topics, but to me I don't think they're actually contributing anything. Sure, it has some value in terms of history but actually I don't think it benefits literature directly. I think poetry, the way its written, is pointless. I believe there are more efficient ways to tell a story than to actually have to use obscure and abstract forms of writing. Poetry to me is kind of pointless because of the fact that it tries to provoke you to think about all the possible endings - but if I'm reading something, I'd rather read something striaghtforward.

No comments:

Post a Comment