Thursday, October 7, 2010

Church

Religious experiences, I've had them all at Daoist temples. I don't ever recall going to any churches. I've been to the Taiwan Daoist temples and also a Buddhist temple in America. 
The Daoist temples were just take a bunch of incense, do the little bow thing a few times and implant it in several different incense pots around the temple. The incense doesn't really resemble anything (the smell of it) but definitely distinct in the family of incenses. 
Basically it's always with family members. Then we do the bai-bai. 
That's pretty much it at Daoist temples. Perhaps tour around and admire the statues. But that's pretty much it.
At the Buddhist temple in America, I'm actually not sure if it's got Daoist traditions as well - but it was called a Buddhist temple, so I'm not sure. 
At the temple, I've only attended one or two of these - but there was a mass reading of the 8 paths or something about life. They just chant it over and they also take this water and like wash it over. They also have these monks at the front and nuns doing a little gong instrument thing while the lead monk reads it. I'm not sure what the water's for - perhaps it represents some sort of purification? Inside, there were these golden panels with pictures on them. Also, we had these little stool things where you can like get on your knees and bow down. 
There were also dragon columns outside the temple, with statues representing some sort of aspects of life or something. 
Also a big Buddha. With a donation box in the middle.
That's pretty much my temple experience. A little blurry, because the last time I went to the Buddhist temple was a few years ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment