Thursday, March 3, 2011

Slanted Truth

The reason Emily Dickinson or perhaps many other poets tell the truth at a slant, embellish their stories is simply to fit the rhyme scheme or the type of poem they're writing. It might also account for more vivid details or interest from the reader that would make the poem more appealing. It could also serve as some sort of symbolic purpose. I believe it is not telling a lie, but instead a partial lie. I don't understand why people do it, since simplicity appeals most to me. But I believe she tells these half lies half truths for the sake of the reader. When she says that Death carries people off in a carriage, I mean she doesn't know this for a fact but instead she says it like it actually is like that. All in all, she's a little liar and she tells these things simply to make the reader interested (in something false and doesn't exist.) It is also to fit the rhyme scheme, HER unique rhyme scheme. The abab-rhyme scheme-except-not-completely-rhyming rhyme scheme. I think it might add details to the poem but at what cost? Lying to the reader? I think telling the truth is more important and therefore Emily Dickinson should eat some hotdogs and hamburgers because that's what they're made for. She's also a weird woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment