Sunday, May 15, 2011

The N-Word

The word today is known as some sort of derogatory term that emerged in  the 1800s to describe slaves. Black slaves, specifically. An enslaved native would not be known as the n-word. Today, it is also used by fellow descendants of these "n-words" as a term of endearment, to show their camaradarie. I believe it's a form of devolution to still be afraid of these words. People usually freeze, and think, "WOW I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU JUST SAID THAT... are there any black people around? Did they hear him?" This is just an unnecessary fear. I believe this is kind of a person trying to conform to the other people around him, trying to stay politically correct. To me, if you want to say it, then say it. It doesn't matter. Why do we have the first amendment? I believe it's pathetic if a person tries to excuse himself by saying it's politically incorrect, uncultured, inarticulate, blahblahblah. I believe if a word wasn't used to imply the meaning then that is the meaning of the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment